Font problems in cygwinx

Sat Jul 3 16:41:15 GMT 2021

On 2021-07-02 22:33, Robert McBroom wrote:
> On 7/2/21 5:58 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2021-07-02 15:21, mcforum wrote:
>>> The legends in the heading for emacs have turned into boxes. the text
>>> in buffers is normal.
>>> What interaction is causing this? The X11 emacs is unusable emacs
>>> -w32 works.
>>
>> If you were using Windows fonts in Emacs, that could be caused by
>> Windows packages that decide it's a good idea to replace your existing
>> installed versions of Windows fonts by theirs e.g. LibreOffice updates
>> mess up the appearance of all my Windows, X, and Cygwin apps until I
>> reboot.
>>
>> It seems to be caused by their ancient installer approach and
>> aggressive font replacement policy.
>>
>> If something like that could be a cause of your problem, try rebooting
>> to see if that clears up the problem.

You could try restarting Windows, then rerunning setup to rerun the
postinstall scripts, to see if that fixes the font configuration.

> Used "Courier New" for years. Just a monospace font for data entry.

Do you know if that is the Windows Courier New, one of the MS TT Core
Fonts package, or one of the X aliases Liberation Mono, Cousine,
Cumberland, Cumberland AMT?

See:

$ cd /usr/share/fonts/
$ ls -glo {truetype/msttcore,win-}fonts/Cour*.ttf | cut -c35-
truetype/msttcorefonts/cour.ttf -> Courier_New.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/courb.ttf -> Courier_New_Bold.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/courbd.ttf -> Courier_New_Bold.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/courbi.ttf -> Courier_New_Bold_Italic.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/couri.ttf -> Courier_New_Italic.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/courz.ttf -> Courier_New_Bold_Italic.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Bold.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Bold_Italic.ttf
truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New_Italic.ttf
win-fonts/cour.ttf
win-fonts/courbd.ttf
win-fonts/courbi.ttf
win-fonts/couri.ttf

also /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/30-metric-aliases.conf:
<!--
Alias similar/metric-compatible families from various sources:
Microsoft...  Liberation fonts:  Google...  StarOff...  AMT fonts:
============  =================  =========  ==========  ==============
Courier New   Liberation Mono    Cousine    Cumberland  Cumberland AMT
-->
         <alias binding="same">
           <family>Cousine</family>
           <default>