Font problems in cygwinx

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Jul 3 15:53:43 GMT 2021

On 7/3/2021 12:28 AM, Robert McBroom wrote:
> On 7/2/21 5:46 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 7/2/2021 5:21 PM, mcforum wrote:
>>> The legends in the heading for emacs have turned into boxes. the text in
>>> buffers is normal.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "legends in the heading".  And when you say
>> "have turned into boxes", are you saying that the problem just recently
>> started?  Or have you always found X11 emacs unusable?
>>
> The labels on the drop down menus and their contents. Been using emacs on cygwin
> for decades.

So you're saying this is a recent problem?  Can you think of anything on your
system that has changed since X11 emacs was last usable for you?

>>> What interaction is causing this? The X11 emacs is unusable emacs -w32 works.
>>
>> My best guess is that the problem is caused by your customizations. What
>> happens if you run 'emacs -Q'?
> Don't do customizations. -Q doesn't help

You said in a different message that you use Courier New.  How are you selecting
the font in emacs?  And does the problem still occur if you just let emacs
choose the font?

>> If you still see the problem with 'emacs -Q', please give a more detailed bug
>> report, following the guidelines here:
>>
>>   https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> And please say exactly how you're starting emacs.
>
> cygwin terminal-->startxwin-->cygwin terminal
>
> emacs . -fh -geometry 100-512 &

Once again, please follow the problem-reporting guidelines at

   https://cygwin.com/problems.html

Ken