login shell binary outside of /bin

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Thu Jul 1 07:49:20 GMT 2021

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 08:30, Basin Ilya via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I compiled bash 5.1 and installed it to /usr/local
>
> If I try to use it as a login shell it fails to launch programs while sourcing /etc/profile. If I copy the binary to /bin it works. If after successful login I launch `/usr/local/bin/bash5 -login` again it works. If I copy the official bash4 to /usr/local/bin and try to do the initial login it fails just like bash5.
>
> Bad:
>
>     C:\cygwin\bin>C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\bash5 -login
>           0 [main] bash5 674 dofork: child -1 - forked process 20540 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000135, errno 11
>     bash5: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
> <snip>

Hello! First of all, have you tried working through the section on
fork problems in the FAQ below? That is normally the way to sort these
issues.

> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/

If you've gone through all those steps, it would be useful to know
exactly how you compiled Bash, including where you got the source code
and what commands and tools you used to do the compilation, as well as
the cygcheck output specified in the Problem reports documentation as
below: