Latest update seems to have broken Mercurial

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:09:20 GMT 2021

On 30.01.2021 10:41, David Monksfield wrote:
> Mercurial was working fine for me until my last Cywin update (yesterday).
> I have Mercurial 5.5.1-1. I don't know enough about python to unpick this,
> but it looks suspicious that there is a mixture of python2.7 and python3.8
> in the traceback.
>

> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hi David,
yes I am aware, current mercurial package still requires python 2.7.

You can see the situation with

$ alternatives  --display python
python - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/bin/python3.8
/usr/bin/python3.7 - priority 37
/usr/bin/python2.7 - priority 27
/usr/bin/python3.6 - priority 36
/usr/bin/python3.8 - priority 38
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/python3.8.

and change it with

$ alternatives  --config python

There are 4 programs which provide 'python'.

   Selection    Command
    1           /usr/bin/python3.7
    2           /usr/bin/python2.7
    3           /usr/bin/python3.6
*+ 4           /usr/bin/python3.8

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: 2

$ hg --version
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 5.6)
(see https://mercurial-scm.org for more information)

see  "alternatives  --help"