mysterious GIT failure

Fri Jan 15 17:09:11 GMT 2021

On 2021-01-15 09:36, matthew patton via Cygwin wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:> Do you by any chance have symlinks in your PATH?
> Yes, the first and 3rd entries are symlinks.
> I've had these symlinks in my PATH for years.
> /home/MP1116/.aws/YYY/bin:/home/MP1116/bin -> .WPHOME/bin/
>
> .aws -> .WPHOME/.aws/.WPHOME -> Dropbox/Work_Projects/XXX
> #/etc/fstabC:/Users /home none binary,user 0 0
>
>>    There was a problem reported in early December in which STATUS_IO_REPARSE_TAG_NOT_HANDLED > would sometimes occur when there was a symlink in PATH:

Given that you have the same symptom, it is possible that Git-Bash or something
else you are running in Windows is creating symlinks somewhere, which Cygwin is
attempting to read while resolving some path search, or opening some directory
or file entry, so it would seem advisable to download and install the latest
snapshot DLL.
You could test this by trying to operate with only minimal Cygwin path /usr/bin:
/bin and git clone into Cygwin /tmp/ or /usr/tmp/ as long as they are not
mounted on non-Cygwin directories like your /home is, where Windows programs are
likely to have an impact.

> This KB was released 8 December. I installed it on Dec 23 and my git failures
> started after that date.
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4592449/windows-10-update-kb4592449>
Known issue with that update is loss of user and system certs - hopefully only
from Windows cert store affecting only Windows apps - but could that impact
anything you are using?