misterious GIT failure

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Fri Jan 8 10:35:21 GMT 2021

On Friday 08 January 2021 at 02:13 am +0000, matthew patton via Cygwin wrote:
> I've been using cygwin since like 20 years ago and do everything in
> it. A couple days ago my Git program mysteriously stopped working. I
> can see (GIT_TRACE=1) it invoke SSH and HTTPS connections just fine
> but it fails with a short-read/write when it's time for pack or
> unpack. Baffled I uninstalled Cygwin and blew away the Repo and
> started over. Git worked fine for a few hours and then BAM same
> problem. I've tried all three versions of git available in the repos.
> Short of deleting Cygwin entirely and starting over, nothing brings it
> back.
>
> I use Github, Bitbucket, and CodeCommit (amazon) for various
> repositories and once Git stops working it won't work on any of them.
> (I briefly thought maybe there was some badly behaved backends)
>
> Here's an example output. Anyone have a notion as to what the dickens is going on?
>
> 21:04:24.233957 git.c:444               trace: built-in: git fetch
> 21:04:24.238648 run-command.c:664       trace: run_command: unset GIT_PREFIX; GIT_PROTOCOL=version=2 ssh -o SendEnv=GIT_PROTOCOL git@github.com 'git-upload-pack '\''tb3088/shell-environment.git'\'''
> remote: Enumerating objects: 34, done.
> remote: Counting objects: 100% (34/34), done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (25/25), done.
> 21:04:25.119943 run-command.c:664       trace: run_command: git index-pack --stdin -v --fix-thin '--keep=fetch-pack 1011 on SOHO-GP4D633' --pack_header=2,1635
> fatal: index-pack failed

This looks like some sort of problem writing to disk to me.  Where are
you storing your Git repositories?  Is it on a regular NTFS disk, or a
file share, or something more esorteric?  And does that drive have
plenty of free space?

Can you please provide the cygcheck output per
https://cygwin.com/problems.html?

If neither of these points at an obvious problem, I expect the next step
will be either (a) looking at Cygwin strace output to get a more
detailed view of what's happening when things go wrong, or (b) having
you build and run the full Git test suite with a view to using that to
narrow down what steps are going wrong.

Adam