Recent problem with man-db-update

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Jan 7 10:00:07 GMT 2021

Paquet André Earl writes:
> I have been a user of CYGWIN for many years.  I have a full
> (everything) installation (see article 2.12 of the FAQ).

You shouldn't, Cygwin is long past the point where it was useful to
install everything.  In this particular case it makes the man-db index
update mandatory and synchronous, which obviously you don't want.

> I update my installation every day (completely, see article 2.12), so
> this is the reason I know the problem I am reporting is very recent (a
> few days). This problem appeared on my two PCs. Also, just to make
> sure, I completely removed CYGWIN yesterday on one of the PCs and
> re-installed it from scratch : the problem still persists after that
> so this is clearly a new bug.

No, this is intended behaviour, in other words don't install
everything.  You can de-install the package man-db-index-synchronously
(in the system category) to not block setup.  To get rid of the man-db
index completely, de-install the package man-db-create-index and remove
the file /var/cache/man/index.db from your installation.

> The problem is the following : when I update Cygwin, it now blocks
> (after two or three hours of being blocked there, I just stop the
> procedure ...) at this stage :

That's another result of you installing way too many packages and their
associated man pages and perhaps a slow disk (a full index takes about
40 minutes on my system, installation is on an SSD; I have quite a large
installation but not nearly "everything").  If you let the indexer run
it'll eventually finish, but yes, it can take quite some time.

>   ManDB index update starting...
>   ... ManDB index update complete.

That indicates the indexer has actually finished.

> /etc/postinstall/zp_man-db-update-index.dash: 14: exec: 3: not found

That's a bug, but it shouldn't hang up setup. I'll fix it up later
today.

> It is probably not related to my problem, but the contents of
> mandb-index.log is not clean (this is the log after a fresh clean
> installation) :

That was always the case, it's just that this is now recorded again in
the log file.  There is no real problem associated with these, just some
man pages don't index cleanly.

Regards,
Achim.