Tee and file redirections are very slow to write anything.

Wed Feb 24 23:50:19 GMT 2021

On 2021-02-24 15:41, Duncan Roe wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 04:58:24PM -0500, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>>
>>> You will want to switch from fully buffered to line-buffered or even
>>> unbuffered output.

>> And this does not have to do with Cygwin.  The same happens on Linux.
>> The default is that terminal I/O is unbuffered while other stream are
>> buffered.  Pipes come under "other streams".  One can make programmatic
>> changes to get around this, but most programs won't override the
>> default behavior on their own ...

> The (Linux) default is that terminal I/O is *line* buffered
>
> The man page for tee doesn't show an option to change buffering, while that for
> grep does.

I believe the default for both Cygwin and Linux is 64KB pipe buffer, so if you
want to see smaller chunks as they are generated, you need to add some utility
that may allow you to change that e.g.

	$ tail -f access.log | stdbuf -oL cut -d ' ' -f1 | uniq

but read the disclaimers on the stdbuf and grep man pages, which is why it is
not done more, especially under Cygwin where Windows adds its own performance
penalties.
Some utilities may use read(2/3p), write(2/3p), or mmap(3) if they can and don't
care about text or lines, for more efficient access to disk files, rather than
buffered stream I/O functions.