Removing netcat from Cygwin

Tue Feb 16 17:40:00 GMT 2021

On 2021-02-16 10:05, Rodney Kissee via Cygwin wrote:
> My company identifies netcat as a hacking tool and is requiring it to be
> removed from our version of Cygwin.  How can it be removed or can Cygwin be
> downloaded without netcat included?
Package netcat is obsolete and has been replaced by nc; more modern replacements
socat and socat2 support more protocols and faster links; none are base packages
or dependencies of other packages so must be explicitly requested.

Many programs can be used as hacking tools: they can also be used as recovery
tools. The above are the software equivalent of patch cables, used to work
around when some parts of your network are not working because of
misconfiguration or failure without backup links and you need to recover.

They may be particularly useful if your systems have been pwned by ransomware,
much of your network is unusable or inaccessible, and your proprietary network
restore tools don't work on what you still can use.
Worth bearing such considerations in mind in health care organizations. ;^>