[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: python packages

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:19:04 GMT 2021

On 10.02.2021 03:29, Yaakov Selkowitz via Cygwin wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 21:31 +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 22/01/2021 21:37, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Several python packages have been promoted from test to stable
>>>
>> [...]
>>> python{36,37,38}-lxml-4.6.2-1
>>
>> Marco,
>>
>> I noticed something a bit odd, which I'm not sure is expected or not.

expected :-(
Not time in the past to work on it.
I was focusing on deploying python38-* as first priority

>> If I install 'python3-lxml', I get 'python36-lxml', which doesn't do me
>> much good with 'python3' installed (which gets me python3.8 currently).
>
> When I changed the packaging scheme from pythonX-* to pythonXY-*, 3.6 was the
> "3" version at the time, and the python3-* created alongside python36-* were
> only meant to be upgrade helpers from that point forward.

there is a bit of cleaning to do on the python3-* tree and package pull,
but first we need to patch cygport to stop creating additional
python3-* packages if not requested.

I guess after the Perl 5.32 I could look on it
as spring project.

Regards
Marco