[QUAR] alternative to terminator

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Tue Feb 2 22:31:47 GMT 2021

So ... I tried downloading terminator.

1) It did not run out of the box - the python code wants the python package
psutil, which is not available on Cygwin.  Sigh.  It could in principle be
ported, but other people have commented that it is significant work and so it
has not been ported over the last 10 years.

2) I then tried rebuilding it from source.  Building worked (once I installed
intltool, which the building needed), but I got the same issue as (1) when
trying to run the result.

3) I tried commenting out the import of psutil, but that got me to needing a
bunch of Gnome python bindings, not all of which I was able to find for
Cygwin.

So whoever was building this presumably did deeper surgery, which might need
to be repeated to move to python3.

But here is how I had success!  I installed cygwin terminator.  I opened
/usr/bin/terminator and on the first line changed python to python2.
terminator then started for me.  Of course I have both python2 and python3
installed.

Regards - Eliot Moss