[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: python 3.9 packages

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 06:57:43 GMT 2021

On 23.12.2021 21:34, Russell VT wrote:
> Thanks Marco!
>
> One small question/caveat, though, if I may?
>

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 9:11 AM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce <
> cygwin-announce@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
>> In other systems as Debian
>> /usr/bin/python is discouraged.
>>
>> As on Cygwin we have still several third packages depending on
>> python2, the usage of alternatives should allow to manage
>> until all are updated to python3
>>

> Even being a Debian / Mint / Ubuntu fan, there's still an incredible of
> stuff that uses "/usr/bin/python," instead of something like "/usr/bin/env
> python." It seems "not unreasonable" to continue to support that link, just
> to allow people who use Cygwin for development, a little additional sanity
> for the time being?
>
> That said, people *should* be transitioning to other tools, such as pyenv
> or pipenv, to better manage their environments (or, in the case of later
> python 3 versions, the built-in venv mechanism)
>

> Regards
>> Marco Atzeri
>>

> Cheers!
> Russell VT

Hi Russell,

  $ alternatives --display python
python - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/bin/python3.9
/usr/bin/python2.7 - priority 27
/usr/bin/python3.6 - priority 36
/usr/bin/python3.7 - priority 37
/usr/bin/python3.8 - priority 38
/usr/bin/python3.9 - priority 39
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/python3.9.

python and python3 are still provided.
I am not planning to remove it.

"until all are updated to python3" means that some packages are
still build with python2 and need rebuild/update for python3

Regards