lost of admin right

Valerio Messina efa@iol.it
Tue Dec 14 13:32:16 GMT 2021

hi,
I have a company PC where I was admin and installed Cygwin in a non
supported path:
D:\Program Files (x86)\cygwin64
/cygdrive/d/Program Files (x86)/cygwin64
and worked like a sharm for years, with a quite complex env.

Now admin right was revoked to me, and the update via setup.exe cannot
proceed.
I can ask to the company admin to update the distribution every time,
but this is impractical.

1) Do you know if re-installing to supported path something like:
D:\ProgramFiles\cygwin64
/cygdrive/d/ProgramFiles/cygwin64
let me update the distro without admin right?

I made a backup of the about 800 installed packages with:
$ cygcheck -c -d | cut -d' ' -f1 | tail -n+3 > installedPackages2021-12.txt
I never tryed to restore the backup with:
$ setup -M -P package1,package2, ...

2) Someone know if that work well ?

thank you,
--