cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Sun Aug 29 19:37:56 GMT 2021

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:57:04 -0400
Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/29/2021 5:07 AM, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 18:41:02 +0900
> > Takashi Yano wrote:

> >> Hmm, you are right. Mutex guard seems to be necessary like pty code
> >> if we go this way.
> >
> > I have found that set_pipe_non_blocking() succeeds for both read and
> > write pipes if the write pipe is created by CreateNamedPipe() and the
> > read pipe is created by CreateFile() contrary to the current create()
> > code. Therefore, not only nt_create() but also PeekNamedPipe() become
> > unnecessary.
> >
> > Please see the revised patch attached.
>
> That's a great idea.
>
> I've applied your two patches to the topic/pipe branch.  I also rebased it and
> did a forced push in order to bring in Corinna's loader script fix.  So you'll
> have to do 'git fetch' and 'git rebase --hard origin/topic/pipe'.
>
> Does this now fix all known problems with pipes?

Only the small thing remaining is pipe mode. If the pipe mode
is changed to byte mode, the following issue will be solved.
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-March/247987.html

How about the simple patch attached?

The comment in pipe code says:
     Note that the write side of the pipe is opened as PIPE_TYPE_MESSAGE.
     This *seems* to more closely mimic Linux pipe behavior and is
     definitely required for pty handling since fhandler_pty_master
     writes to the pipe in chunks, terminated by newline when CANON mode
     is specified.

This mentions about pty behaiviour in canonical mode, however, the
pty pipe is created as message mode even with this patch. Are there
any other reasons that message mode is preferred for pipe?

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>