cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Sat Aug 28 15:43:46 GMT 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:58:08 +0200
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 28 18:41, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:43:27 +0200
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > The problem is this:
> > >
> > >   if (PeekNamedPipe())
> > >     ReadFile(blocking);
> > >
> > > is not atomic.  I. e., if PeekNamedPipe succeeds, nothing keeps another
> > > thread from draining the pipe between the PeekNamedPipe and the ReadFile
> > > call.  And as soon as ReadFile runs, it hangs indefinitely and we can't
> > > stop it via a signal.
> >
> > Hmm, you are right. Mutex guard seems to be necessary like pty code
> > if we go this way.
> >
> > > Is a blocking ReadFile actually faster than a non-blocking read?  Or
> > > does it mainly depend on BYTE vs. MESSAGE mode?
> >
> > Actually, I don't think so. Perhaps it is not essential problem of
> > overlapped I/O but something is wrong with current pipe code.
> >
> > > What if the pipe is created non-blocking and stays non-blocking all the
> > > time and uses BYTE mode all the time?  Just as sockets, it would always
> > > only emulate blocking mode.  Wouldn't that drop code size a lot and fix
> > > most problems?
> >
> > If 'non-blocking' means overlapped I/O, only the problem will be:
> > https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-March/247987.html
>
> Sorry if that wasn't clear, but I was not talking about overlapped I/O,
> which we should get rid off, but of real non-blocking mode, which
> Windows pipes are fortunately capable of.

Do you mean, PIPE_NOWAIT flag? If this flags is specified in
the read pipe, non-cygwin apps cannot read the pipe correctly.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>