cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Aug 26 15:56:07 GMT 2021

On 8/25/2021 5:29 PM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:52:19 -0400
> Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 8/25/2021 7:18 AM, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:

>>> In cygwin, just scp is very slow.
>>>
>>> The transfer speed in my environment is as follows.
>>> The tests were done with 100MB of test.dat file.
>>>
>>> (1-1) From cygwin-PC,
>>> [yano@cygwin-PC ~]$ scp test.dat yano@linux-server:.
>>> yano@linux-server's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB   4.0MB/s   00:24
>>> [yano@cygwin-PC ~]$ scp yano@linux-server:test.dat .
>>> yano@linux-server's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB   8.0MB/s   00:12
>>>
>>> (1-2) From linux-server,
>>> yano@linux-server:~$ scp yano@cygwin-PC:test.dat .
>>> yano@cygwin-PC's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB   4.0MB/s   00:24
>>> yano@linux-server:~$ scp test.dat yano@cygwin-PC:.
>>> yano@cygwin-PC's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB   4.1MB/s   00:24
>>>

>>> I looked into this problem, and noticed that this is caused
>>> by cygwin pipe implementation. Pipe in cygwin is configured
>>> with FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED.
>>>
>>> If the pipe is configured without FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED,
>>> the transfer speed is much improved as follows.
>>>

>>> (2-1) From cygwin-PC,
>>> [yano@cygwin-PC ~]$ scp test.dat yano@linux-server:.
>>> yano@linux-server's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB  85.5MB/s   00:01
>>> [yano@cygwin-PC ~]$ scp yano@linux-server:test.dat .
>>> yano@linux-server's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB  69.7MB/s   00:01
>>>
>>> (2-2) From linux-server,
>>> yano@linux-server:~$ scp yano@cygwin-PC:test.dat .
>>> yano@cygwin-PC's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB  80.1MB/s   00:01
>>> yano@linux-server:~$ scp test.dat yano@cygwin-PC:.
>>> yano@cygwin-PC's password:
>>> test.dat                                      100%  100MB  57.7MB/s   00:01
>>>
>>> I am not sure why this happens and how to fix this.
>>
>> A couple years ago I had an idea for changing the pipe implementation to avoid
>> overlapped I/O:
>>
>>     https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2019q2/009393.html
>>     https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2019q2/009423.html
>>
>> I never followed up on it.  But if you think it might help with this problem, I
>> could dust it off and try to finish it.
>
> Interesting.
>
> It will be also helpfull for:
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-March/247987.html
> which seems to be the same issue with
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10385424/good-alternatives-to-cygwin-cygwin-doesnt-support-natively-support-win32-app
>
> However, I wonder why scp dislikes overlapped I/O.

I agree that it would be good to understand this.  When I first proposed the
change, I was thinking in terms of code simplification.  If it also improves
performance (which we don't know yet), it becomes a higher priority, but in that
case it would be nice to understand why it improves performance.

Ken