Terminal occasionally shows duplicate command text when it is split over multiple lines

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Aug 25 13:46:10 GMT 2021

Am 25.08.2021 um 08:42 schrieb Ray Satiro via Cygwin:
> On 8/23/2021 6:15 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 23.08.2021 um 23:52 schrieb Ray Satiro via Cygwin:
>>> I'm using cygwin x86 updated yesterday and when I paste in commands
>>> that are split over multiple lines sometimes an arbitrary line will
>>> show more than once, even though it is not actually part of the
>>> command more than once. For example here's a command:
>>>
>>> echo foo \bar \baz \qux
>>>
>>> And here's the terminal output when I paste it in:
>>>
>>> $ echo foo \qux
>>> $ echo foo \baz \> bar \> baz \> quxfoo bar baz qux
>> Please provide a clear test case. How exactly would your clipboard
>> have multiple lines? Your example is only one line.
>
> My mail client did that. Here I'll try again:
>
> echo foo \
> bar \
> baz \
> qux
>

> $ echo foo \
> baz \
> qux
>> bar \
>> baz \
>> qux
> foo bar baz qux

Cannot reproduce this with mouse-pasting (middle mouse button). It does
occur occasionally when pasting with Shift+Insert at keyboard repeat
rate. I guess it's some kind of race condition, the initial part may get
output earlier than the further parts are echoed. So it would not be a
terminal issue.
Thomas