many cygwin shells/tools (tcsh, fish, bash, and zsh) crashing STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

David Dyck david.dyck@gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 05:22:12 GMT 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:10 PM Mark Geisert  wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> David Dyck via Cygwin wrote:
> > First, thanks for digging further into this.
> >
> > I'm guessing that I am missing some of the developer pieces that
> > assisted you in deducing from
>
> No problem.  I was curious about the possible Win 11 Preview connection and
> happened to have a bit of free time to investigate.  Installing the
> ncurses-debuginfo package gave me debugging symbols for use with gdb.  Calculating
> <exception-address> minus <dll-load-address> from your strace gave me the offset
> into the ncurses DLL of the exception on your system.  Then on my own system I
> have a different <dll-load-address> but adding the offset gives me the
> corresponding <exception-address> on my own system.  The rest was using gdb.

Thank you, I appreciate your contributing to my education.

> I didn't consider that your original libncursesw-10.dll might have been damaged.
> I was kinda fixated on the possibility of Win 11 Preview brokenness ;-).

> That's right, you're back to the version you started with but things are working
> now.  I'm now inclined to think your original ncurses DLL was damaged somehow.  I
> don't know how deeply 'cygcheck -c' checks a package.. It can tell when individual
> files are missing from the package but I don't know if it checksums the files, for
> instance, to discover individual file damage.

Maybe there's an opportunity to have cygcheck include a checksum of
each file in its report - but too late now.

> I don't think there's anything more to do here but run your working system :-).

Thank you, I am doing just that!
  David