many cygwin shells/tools (tcsh, fish, bash, and zsh) crashing STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Tue Aug 10 05:04:03 GMT 2021

On 2021-08-09 22:36, David Dyck via Cygwin wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting cygwin bash to start up - I tried older
> versions of bash, and I see that other tools are crashing also.  I'm
> looking for ideas on how to collect the useful information to begin
> the path to getting operation of cygwin restored.
>
> I've had it running for many years, but recently upgraded to windows 10
> c:\cygwin64\bin>ver
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.120]
>
> seems like this computer ran cygwin bash probably in May of 2021.

It's a known problem that after Windows updates, especially Insider,
quarterly, or biannually e.g. [20]20H2 [20]2009, it's often advisable to
rerun Cygwin Setup and allow packages to be upgraded in case patches are
made for new releases, and DLLs be rebased in case address space is
occupied by updated Windows components.