Unable to start Cygwin64 terminal after password change

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] lavr@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Tue Aug 3 18:12:51 GMT 2021

> "during user-initiated shutdowns, the kernel, drivers, and services are
> preserved and restored, not just restarted."

Which was why I specifically used "shutdown /r", which is:

    /r         Full shutdown and restart the computer.

We've been advised by our admins that this command does a true and
full restart of the system, including all the kernel parts of it.

> You may want to check with your AD server admins about this possibility.

I decided to restart my computer on Saturday, while the password had been changed
Thursday afternoon.  Meanwhile I was perfectly able to actually _use_ my new password
to unlock that very same Windows host, and login to different hosts (as soon as the
new password was set, and before as well as after the reboot of my work PC).
So the caching theory is not quite substantiated, IMO.

> You may want to check with your AD server admins about this possibility.

I did!  And they said: "no new policies were added and no current policies were changed".

I repeat it again:  my new password was working everywhere I needed to enter
it to gain access to a system, including this very PC, whose Cygwin Terminal
stopped working all of a sudden.

If cygserver does cache the AD information, especially kind of information that is
known to be volatile, that cache should have a reasonable refresh time, and to be
invalidated as stale after the expiration, so it can be re-fetched from the source.
Consider DNS as one such working examples.

> I would have to make any assumptions that could be spurious

Your asking about Cygwin Setup, specifically, appeared to be quite spurious to me,
in the light of this issue here.

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI