Unable to start Cygwin64 terminal after password change

Mon Aug 2 20:58:41 GMT 2021

On 2021-08-02 12:31, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:
>> I'll follow up once I have the output you've requested.
>
> Well, my Systems people stopped cygserver for me, and I was able to open the "Cygwin64 terminal" without problems...  The machine wasn't rebooted, re-login'ed, nothing.
>
> So cygserver was the culprit?
>
> When I run id now, I get it all correctly, from both that very terminal:
>
> $ id
> uid=1050182(lavr) gid=1049089(Domain Users) groups=1049089(Domain Users),555(Remote Desktop Users),545(Users),559(Performance Log Users),14(REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON),4(INTERACTIVE)....
>
> and also from "bash" that I used to start from "cmd.exe" (when the terminal wouldn't open up):
>
> C:\Windows\System32>cd \cygwin64\bin
>
> C:\Cygwin64\bin>bash
>
> lavr@NCBIPC9135 /usr/bin
> $ id
> uid=1050182(lavr) gid=1049089(Domain Users) groups=1049089(Domain Users),555(Remote Desktop Users),545(Users),559(Performance Log Users),14(REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON),4(INTERACTIVE),11(Authenticated Users),15(This Organization),4095(CurrentSession)...
>
> Also note that my prompt is not showing anything numeric anymore...
>
> Any clues?

All Cygwin services need to be shut down prior to running Cygwin Setup
and they need to be restarted after Cygwin Setup completes successfully.

If Cygwin services are running while Cygwin Setup is running, Cygwin
components in use can not be updated, and you should get a Restart to
update prompt.

If you can not control the services, you should not run Setup: it should
all be packaged into a script run elevated by those who have control.