Unable to start Cygwin64 terminal after password change

René Berber rene.berber@gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 17:23:33 GMT 2021

On 8/1/2021 11:57 AM, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:

[snip]
> BTW, $USER is not defined in the bash environment (not sure if it
> should be)

Quoting man bash:

"When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads
and executes commands from the file  /etc/profile,  if  that
file  exists."

and /etc/profile has a line with:

USER="$(/usr/bin/id -un)"

then...

export ... USER ...

Unless of course you execute bash with -noprofile.

> My account is a domain account here.  And everything worked before I
> had to change my password.

Maybe `id -un` does change in this case.
--
R. Berber