Cannot access system32 directory from 32 bit cygwin after the commit 456c3a46

Wed Apr 21 15:49:41 GMT 2021

On Apr 21 17:58, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin!
>
> > On Apr 21 12:04, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> >> Hi Corinna,
> >>
> >> I noticed the problem that /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32 directory
> >> can be no longer accessed from 32 bit cygwin (WOW64) after the
> >> commit:
>
> > The problem here is the File System Redirector,
> > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/file-system-redirector
>
> > This thing is really a problem because it break every, otherwise
> > sane assumption.  Hmm, bummer.  I need some time to think about
> > a solution here.
>
> As far as I'm aware, it can be disabled on application request.
> I know at least one 32-bit application (Far Manager) that works through
> redirector, but it might not be as easy for a library.

That doesn't help.  We *want* the redirector to work, otherwise we would
end up in the wrong dir in terms of the system32 dir and sysnative
wouldn't work at all in Cygwin, without going to great lengths to
emulate the FSR by ourselves.

I pushed a patch and created new snapshots.  After some mulling I
decided it's not worth to introduce some complicated routine for just
WOW64, so Cygwin simply skips the code from commit 456c3a46386f3 now, if
the incoming path is pointing inside the Windows dir on WOW64.

Eventually, we should really start thinking about dropping 32 bit
support, I guess.  Only 17 years left until time_t overflow...

Corinna