X11 blinking cursor in text window like 'gvim' - only halts if moved-over another X11-win

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Apr 15 19:10:47 GMT 2021

Andrey Repin writes:
>> Windows never had "focus follows mouse" in any version I can remember.
>
> It has it in every version starting Windows 95/NT4.

The last time I tried it it didn't quite work, though.  Specifically it
does "focus strictly follows mouse" and it had problems with raising
unwanted windows in the past.  Again AFAIR…

> @Linda: try http://joelpurra.com/Projects/X-Mouse_Controls/

So I've tried it again… it works better than I remembered.  The ability
of typing into windows that are partially overlapped by another one
probably means I will keep it enabled despite the other problems, but
I'm still sitting on the fence about that.  There are still (less)
problems of the sort that I've had before, but I still see random
Windows getting auto-raised (and briefly taking then losing focus) with
the mouse not even near them (often it's actually on the other screen)
and some applications still needing a click to activate keyboard input
or input to the correct place.  Also some types of keyboard-activated
input fields do not get focus when they open because they get created
away from the mouse pointer, so while formerly they'd be ready to get
input as soon as they pop up, you now have to move the mouse there,
which kind of defeats the purpose.  Also I'd really like a lazy focus
follow that doesn't remove the focus as long as the mouse pointer
doesn't enter another window, but apparently that can't be set up
either.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: