cgdb fails with cygwin 3.2.0 but is OK with 3.1.6

Arthur Norman acn1@cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 13 14:05:56 GMT 2021

With the latest cygwin if I go "gcc -O0 -g hello.c -o hello" then "cgdb
./hello", break main, run then cgdb exits abruptly without sign on
actually starting my code. If I use just gdb not cgdb all is OK. If I try
"gcd -tui hello" I can single step my code but the display in the top half
of the window is damaged - eg after a couple of steps it shows lines 5 and
6 of the source code twice each, but once normally and once in inverted
video.
Raw seems to gdb lets me step the code about as expected.

If I revert just the cygwin package from 3.2.0-1 to 3.1.6-1 things appear
to behave as I would expect. 3.1.7-1 possibly had -tui issues and led to
cgdb stalling on my large and broken example code which is why I report
3.1.6-1 as the baseline.

I attach cygcheck output from both a situation with 3.1.6 and 3.2.0 since
comparison may help to isolate what is happening. I also attach the
trivial C code that cgdb and gcd -tui have problems with on a fully up to
date system.

I have seen this both on my main Windows 10 and in a Windows installed in
a VM where there will be less extraneous software to conflict - the
cygchecks are from the VM version.

Many thanks. Arthur