X11 blinking cursor in text window like 'gvim' - only halts if moved-over another X11-win

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Apr 11 14:33:41 GMT 2021

On 10/04/2021 22:37, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2021/04/10 12:14, L A Walsh wrote:
>> On 2021/04/09 07:41, Jon Turney wrote:
>>> I think so, yes.
>> ===
>>
>>     That's unfortunate.  Well, I wasn't sure if it was new
>> or old. At least its not some new problem.  Sigh.
>>
>>     Thanks for the backstory.
>>> [1] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00168.html
>>> [2] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00278.html
>>> [3] https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2017-May/232564.html
> ---
>    I don't know if this was tried, but the only way to really do
> it would be along the lines of detecting when windows had grabbed
> control via its time -- for cygwin to use a timer to detect when it
> lost control.  Ex. in cygwin's blink routine, it would need to check

There is no 'cygwin blink routine' - this is something that the X client
(e.g. gvim in your example) is doing, while it believe that it has focus.

> that it still had focus, and if it had lost it for longer than 50-75ms
> (maybe configurable), assume cursor is over a Win-Window...  May not
> be worth the bother, but it might catch the problem?

There's almost certainly no need for such heuristics.  Windows provides
various notification messages when the focus is moving, it's translating
those (correctly) into the model that X clients expect that is the problem.