X11 blinking cursor in text window like 'gvim' - only halts if moved-over another X11-win

Lemke, Michael SF/HZA-ZIC2 lemkemch@schaeffler.com
Thu Apr 8 09:52:47 GMT 2021

On April 7, 2021 8:47 PM Achim Gratz wrote:
>L A Walsh writes:
>> If I move the windows cursor to another editor window in X11,
>> the blinking cursor moves to the new window, but if I move
>> it to a native window, the blinking doesn't stop.
>>
>> Has this always been this way?
>
>Windows never had "focus follows mouse" in any version I can remember.

It has had it since Windows95 or so and it is my default setting on
any PC I use. Attached is a little program I wrote a long time ago that
turns the feature on or off. Compile with `gcc xmouse.c` or mingw.

Something like this was included in the Windows PowerToys as xmouse.exe.

Michael