Remotely restart a windows machine

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Sun Sep 27 21:45:54 GMT 2020

Greetings, Eliot Moss!

> On 9/25/2020 10:36 AM, john doe wrote:
>> On 9/25/2020 4:28 PM, Peter J. Krum via Cygwin wrote:
>>> The syntax of this command is:
>>>
>>> NET
>>>      [ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP |
>>>        HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | PAUSE | SESSION | SHARE | START |
>>>        STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ]
>>>

>> This is a Windows command, I would look at 'shutdown.exe' or whatever
>> tools is using rpc to restart windows remotely.

> shutdown is the program that the OP desires to run remotely.  The question boils down to: How, using
> Cygwin, can I send a remote command to another computer on the network?

Unsurprisingly, it's `shutdown`…
But you must be an admin on the remote system.

$ shutdown /\?
Usage: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe [/i | /l | /s | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e] [/f]
    [/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]

    No args    Display help. This is the same as typing /?.
    /?         Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
    /i         Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
               This must be the first option.
    /l         Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d options.
    /s         Shutdown the computer.
    /r         Shutdown and restart the computer.
    /g         Shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is
               rebooted, restart any registered applications.
    /a         Abort a system shutdown.
               This can only be used during the time-out period.
    /p         Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
               Can be used with /d and /f options.
    /h         Hibernate the local computer.
               Can be used with the /f option.
    /e         Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer.
    /m \\computer Specify the target computer.
    /t xxx     Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
               The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
               If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
               implied.
    /c "comment" Comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
               Maximum of 512 characters allowed.
    /f         Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
               The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
               specified for the /t parameter.
    /d [p|u:]xx:yy  Provide the reason for the restart or shutdown.
               p indicates that the restart or shutdown is planned.
               u indicates that the reason is user defined.
               If neither p nor u is specified the restart or shutdown is
               unplanned.
               xx is the major reason number (positive integer less than 256).
               yy is the minor reason number (positive integer less than 65536).

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...