Problems with native Unix domain sockets on Win 10/2019

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri Sep 25 16:32:05 GMT 2020

On 9/25/2020 12:13 PM, Michael McMahon wrote:
> We're just trying to compile a test case and I checked that the
> command line I sent does work. So, I think that it okay.
> But, the original problem is with the Cygwin command line tools.

Well, it's not a problem with the tools (IMO), it's that the particular Linux program you're
interested in has not been ported to Cygwin.  It's not unusual that Linux programs need at least
some adjustment to their build process in order to work - sometimes the adjustment is larger than
others, and some things make such deep assumptions about Linux that it is not practical to port
them.  That may be the case here.

Someone who knows more about Samba, how it is supported on Windows, and the limitations of Cygwin
w.r.t. Samba may be able to say more.  If there's a Windows command line tool, you can invoke it
from Cygwin (as I previously pointed out).

Just trying to help get you to the place where you can run a command to shutdown / restart a Samba
remote ... Does it have to be exactly the "net" program from Linux?

Best wishes - EM