TMP/TEMP environment variable and /tmp

Kristian Ivarsson sten.kristian.ivarsson@gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:56:47 GMT 2020

>>> Of course and that's not happening, no worries. The issue was that TMP is set in /etc/profile and not inherited from the Windows environment.
>> Well, where my Cygwin-compiled-application is running, there’s no Cygwin-installation and thus no /etc/profile so it cannot be set there (if /etc/profile is not a built in resource in every executable), so there must be some text-value inside the compiled executables used in some manner somehow
>
> There must be something going on in your environment that you haven't told us yet.  I just tried the following test case:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> int
> main ()
> {
>  printf ("The value of TMP is %s\n", getenv ("TMP"));
> }
>
> In a Cygwin bash shell I get
>
>  The value of TMP is /tmp
>
> Running the same executable under a Windows Command Prompt, I get
>
>  The value of TMP is /c/Users/kbrown/AppData/Local/Temp
>
> So Cygwin converts TMP to a Posix path [*], but it doesn't change it to "/tmp".
>
> Ken
>
> [*] See environ.cc:303 for a list of environment variables that Cygwin converts.

Hmm, you’re right Ken

I tried this before taking off for a vacation and the Windows-TMP-variable is extracted

I now suspect that we maybe do have some logic that falls back to /tmp if the TMP-variable is NULL and perhaps the variable is NULL because we launch the process with CreateProcess and perhaps the environment-variables doesn’t get inherited then ?

The reason why we use CreateProcess from within a cygwin-application to create another cygwin-application (instead of fork or such) might seem weird, but it has its reasons

I need to confirm this after the vacation-trip or if someone already know if environment-variables “dissapear” if things such as CreateProcess are used ?

Best regards,
Kristian