Fwd: Only console users can use startx

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Sep 6 14:34:37 GMT 2020

On 02/09/2020 02:48, Jim McNamara via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I got tigervnc to work over ssh. I cant get past when I type startx into
> the screen I logged into. It is the login screen like ctrl+f2. Any ideas?
>
> I'm trying to look at xfce from cygwin.

There's a lot of detail missing here, so I'm forced to guess what you
are trying to do.

Assuming it's something like 'use cygwin vncviewer to connect to a
remote xfce session running on a vncserver through a ssh tunnel', startx
isn't really the right tool to use here, instead adjust ~/.vnc/xstartup
to run startxfce.