Emacs 27.1 - Invalid function: make-local-variable

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Oct 29 00:39:30 GMT 2020

On 10/28/2020 5:09 PM, noosphere--- via Cygwin wrote:
> When trying to start emacs with "emacs --daemon" (with or without the
>   -Q option, I immediately get an error:
>
>    emacs: Invalid function: make-local-variable
>    Error: server did not start correctly

Thanks for the report.  I can reproduce the problem with emacs-nox and emacs
-X11 (but not with emacs-w32).  I'll look into it.

[...]

> %  gdb /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe
> GNU gdb (GDB) (Cygwin 8.3.1-1) 8.3.1

[...]

> Reading symbols from /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe...
> (No debugging symbols found in /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe)

This probably means that you didn't install emacs-debuginfo.

Ken