Interaction with non-cygwin programs

Federico Kircheis federico.kircheis@gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 06:05:30 GMT 2020

On 25/10/2020 11.12, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 17:04:59 +0200
> Federico Kircheis via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> I've lately updated Windows to the latest version, and cygwin too (I had
>> something previous to 3.0).
>>
>> I've read that interaction with non-cygwin programs should be better
>> because of the console-helper.
>>

>> But in my daily usage the integration is worse, programs like tmux or
>> even less seems to have more issues than before.
>>

>> For example
>>
>>     /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/svn log | less
>>
>> used to work correctly.
>> Currently if I press arrow down or up less does not scroll up or down
>> anymore and "ESC[" appears briefly at the top-left of the console.
>>
>> Of course i could install subversion inside cygwin, as
>>
>> svn log | less
>>
>> works without issues, but it's just an example.
>> git, adb, and other programs trigger the same behavior.
>>

>> Also less is not the only program, tmux for example has similar issues.
>>
>> I believe the underlying issue is console-helper but I'm not sure how I
>> could test it, as I did, for example, not find how I could disable it,
>> or if the issue is already known.
>>
>> I'm able to reproduce the issue on a clean machine, so it should not be
>> a configuration issue on my side.
>
> Could you please try cygwin latest snapshot?
> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thank you, tried and it seems to work.

I could notice only one minor issue: when making changing the terminal
size with "Wind+arrow"with

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/svn log | less

less does not seem to acknowledge the new terminal size, while

svn log | less

does.
If using the mouse and resizing the terminal by hand, both commands seem
to behave the same.