Interaction with non-cygwin programs

Federico Kircheis federico.kircheis@gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 19:11:11 GMT 2020

On 10/24/20 8:10 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-10-24 09:04, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin wrote:
>> I've lately updated Windows to the latest version, and cygwin too (I had
>> something previous to 3.0).
>> I've read that interaction with non-cygwin programs should be better because of
>> the console-helper.
>> But in my daily usage the integration is worse, programs like tmux or even less
>> seems to have more issues than before.
>> For example
>>    /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/svn log | less
>> used to work correctly.
>> Currently if I press arrow down or up less does not scroll up or down anymore
>> and "ESC[" appears briefly at the top-left of the console.
>>
>> Of course i could install subversion inside cygwin, as
>> svn log | less
>> works without issues, but it's just an example.
>> git, adb, and other programs trigger the same behavior.
>> Also less is not the only program, tmux for example has similar issues.
>>
>> I believe the underlying issue is console-helper but I'm not sure how I could
>> test it, as I did, for example, not find how I could disable it, or if the issue
>> is already known.
>>
>> I'm able to reproduce the issue on a clean machine, so it should not be a
>> configuration issue on my side.
>
> I think setting CYGWIN=disable_pcon in your user or system environment should
> disable it: search for that setting for more information.

Thank you, setting CYGWIN to disable_pcon as environment variable did
the trick with, I'll observe in the next days if all my issues are
really gone.

Unfortunately it seems that it is only possible to set this variable
globally, correct?

It is not possible, for example, to set it from bash only for some
processes.

AFAIK I cannot have both

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/svn log | less

and

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Python/Python39/python

working correctly, as the first works with CYGWIN=disable_pcon and the
second not.