xwin-xdg-menu is not showing menu in taskbar

Wed Oct 21 04:55:35 GMT 2020

On 2020-10-09 09:53, Volker Quetschke wrote:
> Well, it is showing up with two processes in the windows task manager, with one
> consuming 15% or so of the CPU, but the icon never appears in the task bar.
>
> The system is a fresh install of cygwin 64 bit version on a new laptop - see
> attached cygcheck.out.
>
> To reproduce this the x server is started with the "XWin Server" entry under
> "Cygwin-X" on the Start Menu.
>
> The menu actually worked for me in the beginning and I managed to pinpoint what
> broke it. Originally I had only xorg-server, xinit and xclock installed. That
> worked, the x server and the menu came up quickly, but xclock complained about
> missing fonts. So I installed the 6 xorg-x11-fonts-* packages. That broke it.
>
> I uninstalled the six fonts again and reinstalled them one after the other. With
> all except
>    xorg-x11-fonts-ethiopic
> installed the menu keeps working as expected. No, I didn't try yet if the
> ethiopic font breaks it again when I install it.

I just managed to restore X-Win functionality by renaming ~/.startxwinrc and
running the following commands, which I have now installed in permanent
postinstall scripts, to ensure that mime type and icon caches are updated:

$ head /etc/postinstall/zp_[ac]*.dash
==> /etc/postinstall/zp_all-icon-themes.dash <==
#!/bin/dash
# zp_all-icon-themes.dash - rebuild all icon theme caches where index exists

if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]
then
    for index in /usr/share/icons/*/index.theme \
                /usr/*/sys-root/*/share/icons/*/index.theme
    do
        dir=${index%/*}
        /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache --force $dir || :

==> /etc/postinstall/zp_cache-shared-mime-info.dash <==
#!/bin/dash
# zp_cache-shared-mime-info.dash - rebuild shared mime info caches

[ -x /usr/bin/update-mime-database ] && [ -d /usr/share/mime ] && \
    /usr/bin/update-mime-database /usr/share/mime || :

You might also want to force rebuild the font cache by running:

	$ /etc/postinstall/zp_fontconfig_cache_1.sh