Problem with tar version 1.29 (in Cygwin 3.6 64 bit) in extracting sym-link files

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri Oct 2 18:14:44 GMT 2020

On 10/2/2020 12:47 PM, vinay Hegde wrote:
> Hi Eliot Moss,
> Thank you very much for the quick response & the information.It really helped.
> I just set 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk' & I am now able to open sym-link
> file. Both 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk' & 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks' are working
> for me.
> But it creates a shortcut(not the regular file). Hope it won't impact
> my existing setup.
>
> But both  'CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native' (which is default I believe) &
> 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict' are not working for me. Just to
> understand, In what OS environment/File System 'native' will work?
>
> Regards
> Vinay Hegde

I run Windows 10 and that works for me.  Of course below, jcontrol should
be an actual file, while ControlPanel will be a symlink to it.  (That
particular name might behave oddly under Windows, because the Control
Panel is a built in thing!)

Not sure what else to say about the different forms.  The lnk form, as
I recall, builds a Cygwin-specific thing that Cygwin understands but
Windows tools will not - they'll just think its a small ordinary file
(its has within it, a few "magic" bytes then the name of the target
file).  You _want_ a short-cut, right?  ControlPanel -> jcontrol _is_
a link.

So I admit I am not fully understanding your post.

Also, on this list, the custom is to bottom-post (or intersperse) replies,
not to top-post.

Regards - EM