Problem with tar version 1.29 (in Cygwin 3.6 64 bit) in extracting sym-link files
Fri Oct 2 15:26:21 GMT 2020
Hi Cygwin Team,
In Cygwin 3.6, I am facing an issue while using tar.exe for extracting
When I use 'tar.exe' to extract the .tar.z file, it extracts all files
including symlinks. But symlink file size will be 0KB & it throws
error 'The file cannot be accessed by the system', if I try to open in
any Windows editor like notepad or notepad++
Below are the details:
- OS: Windows 2019
- Cygwin version installed: 3.6 (tar version: 1.29)
- Command used to extract the tar file is: tar -zxvf jre64.tar.Z
- 'ls -l' on the extracted directory shows:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 etbuild Domain Users 8 Jul 10 2017 ControlPanel -> jcontrol
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 etbuild Domain Users 7734 Mar 15 2017 java
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 etbuild Domain Users 128791 Mar 15 2017 javaws
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 etbuild Domain Users 6264 Mar 15 2017 jcontrol
- As you can see 'ControlPanel' is a symlink file with 0KB
(8Bytes) size. This file, I cannot open in any Windows editor. It
throws error like ''The file cannot be accessed by the system'
- However, I can open this file in vi editor or I can 'cat' this.
- Earlier, I was using Cygwin version 1.7 (tar version: 1.27) & in
that, this issue was not there. Symlink file size was 1KB & I could
open it with any Windows editor.
Please suggest what needs to be done to fix this issue.
More information about the Cygwin