Sv: Sv: Sv: Sv: Sv: g++ and c++17 filesystem

sten.kristian.ivarsson@gmail.com sten.kristian.ivarsson@gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:35:40 GMT 2020

[snip]

> std::filesystem POSIX mode is common to all POSIX platforms where
> backslashes are NOT directory separators. How do you make them accept your
> demands? How are you going to force POSIX platforms allow Windows specific
> code?

I've been trying to say over and over again that our code doesn't handle any Windows specific stuff and not anywhere have I claimed that anyone else need to handle Windows specific stuff either (except for the internals of Cygwin of which Windows specific logic is already present)

I repeat; I don't expect any of the Cygwin-Posix-functions to accept any Windows-style-paths (though some of them, as I repeatedly have said, already does so) and I only expect that I can operate according to the C++-standard on an instantiated std::filesystem::path

> Make it try to enter subdirectories every time std::filesystem is
> called?
>
> You refuse to understand that Cygwin is NOT Windows, it is a POSIX
> platform. Using Cygwin means complying with POSIX expectations and
> standards.
>
> I don't see how this conversation can continue if you still refuse to see
> Cygwin as something separate from Windows. Besides, you have already
> answered your question by ruling out MinGW, so Microsoft Visual Studio it
> is.

I repeat (again); neither MinGW/MSVS is an option because we're trying to use Posix and C++

Just to be clear:

- Our code DOESN'T handle Windows-style-paths explicitly in any way
- We DON'T expect Cygwin-Posix-file-related-functions to accept Windows-style-paths
- We WOULD like std::filesystem to work according to the C++ ISO standard

Does that make any sense ?

Kristian