g++ and c++17 filesystem

Thu Nov 19 06:23:23 GMT 2020

On 2020-11-18 17:08, Doug Henderson via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 13:50, Kristian Ivarsson wrote:
>> The only purpose CYGWIN have is to make/build posix-applications runnable
>> on Windows and applications usually have user defined input, such as paths
>> etc, and on Windows that input is usually Windows-native-paths unless you
>> educate operators/users to enter paths with /cygdrive/...

> <rant>
> I use CYGWIN to work around a stupid design decision made by a small
> time OS developer more than 40 years ago, and inherited by an OS that
> did not even have directories in its first release.
> </rant>

Actually, most of those design decisions were made in the 1950s-1960s by
scientific then mainframe OS designers in multiprocessing then multiuser
environments, and the short sighted decisions were made to get things working
quickly by people without much design or systems background (BGIII^Wcough!) in
some of the smaller minicomputer then microcomputer adaptations, which were
often frankly PoS hacks, and triumphs of salesmanship over competency. ;^>