cmake suddenly stopped working

Norton Allen allen@huarp.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 17 23:48:36 GMT 2020

On 11/17/2020 6:21 PM, Norton Allen wrote:
> On 11/17/2020 5:48 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Norton Allen wrote:
>>> Is anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?
>>
>> I'm not seeing it.  'cmake --help' works for me.
>> Does 'ldd /usr/bin/cmake' give any hint?
>
> ldd did not complain, but your question reminded me that I should try
> running under strace. That produce the complaint:
>
>    The procedure entry point
>    _ZNSt19basic_ostringstreamlcSt11char_traitslcESalcEEC1Ev could not
>    be located in the dynamic link library C:\cygwin64\bin\cmake.exe
>
> (I had to type that in, as I could not copy from strace's error dialog.)
>
> That looks like it might be an issue with the g++ library? Any chance
> there was a change in the library that might require a recompile/relink?
>
> I will try rolling that one back.

Rolling back to gcc-g++ 9.3.0 did not help.

I did find that entry point string in cmake.exe (all the lowercase 'L's
I typed in that are actually capital i's. My font makes no distinction)
and I was able to locate a matching string in
/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/9.3.0/libstdc++.a, but not in libstdc++.dll.a.
Running strings on the /usr/bin/cygstdc++-6.dll showed the same
information. Maybe I need to roll back further!