surrounding double quotes not removed from native command line arguments when they contain unicode and locale is default

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Mon Nov 16 05:54:00 GMT 2020

On 2020/11/12 08:10, Ilya Basin via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi.
> When I launch a Cygwin program from a native Windows program and an argument in the command line string is quoted and contains national characters then the Cygwin program behaves as if double quotes were part of the program argument.
> This happens if I don't explicitly set LC_ALL or if I set LC_ALL=C or set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8

----
    The argument handling for cygwin and posix programs comes from the shell
that is used.  The native windows programs don't have that.  Best thing to
try is to run bash as a wrapper around the program, like:

C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe -c "/cygwin/c/test-z-я/some.txt".

Make sure your LC_CTYPE is set to a valid value for your area, like mine is
set to "en_US.UTF-8". Only my LC_CTYPE is set to something other than the
default, like:
>  locale

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

> This is a problem because arguments with spaces must be quoted.
>
> If I set the locale to some language and country the quotes are removed as expected no matter what code page I use, UTF-8 or a single-byte code page. The locale doesn't have to match the alphabet used.

----
    Right -- it is just for other stuff, but the problem is the locale
program still wants *some* valid value.

    Type "locale -a" to list all locales and pick whatever is closest to
where
you are, or pick "en_US", like you said, doesn't really matter -- but:

>     C:\>set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8

----
    C.UTF-8 isn't a valid value for LANG or LC_ALL.

    You probably don't want a single code page for your language like:
>     C:\>set LC_ALL=en_US.CP1252
>
>     C:\>C:/cygwin/bin/ls -l "C:/test-z-я/some.txt"
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 il None 0 Nov 12 09:52 'C:/test-z-'$'/030''N'$'/217''/some.txt'

----
    Because if you use a character that isn't in that code page, you are
likely
to have problems.  You want to use a UTF-8, or utf8 codepage. Like this:
> C:\>set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

That's the way the locale system works/interacts with windows.
Just use quotes + UTF-8 -- that way you can write
your stuff consistently and get consistent results.

It's even better if you just use 'bash' and avoid the Win-Cyg-Win boundary
translations.

-linda