procmon doesn't capture cygwin's process arguments

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenkoa@gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:04:33 GMT 2020

Andrey Repin wrote:
> > * https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
> Yes, it's in CYGWIN=wincmdln

Thx. So I was tired enough not to spot that option even when there is
a keyword "argv" on the page ((

> But it's not necessarily accurate.
> See the documentation for details.

Docs said:

(no)wincmdln - if set, the windows complete command line (truncated to ~32K)
will be passed on any processes that it creates in addition to the
normal UNIX argv list.
Defaults to not set.

So the presentation is not accurate if the length exceeds 32K. NP ))

At least I am not blind at what happens with processes. Tested, it works:

CYGWIN=wincmdln emacs-w32 -Q

The first process doesn't report its argv, but all children do.

The solution of Brian Inglis (of using "ps" or "/proc/*/cmdline") is
not viable in situations when
processes start and die quickly.

I need some tracer, "strace" crashed Emacs & procmon has nice UI.

Tnx!