Cygwin-64 on W10-64 : the only game in town?

Sun Nov 1 16:51:56 GMT 2020

On 2020-11-01 08:20, Stephen John Smoogen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 04:02, Duncan Roe wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 08:49:23AM +0000, Fergus Daly wrote:
>>> With W7 no longer supported, W10-32 supported but no longer provided on
>>> new machines (Microsoft states that, "Beginning with Windows 10, version
>>> 2004, all new Windows 10 systems will be required to use 64-bit builds
>>> and Microsoft will no longer release 32-bit builds for OEM distribution
>>> .. the weaker version of Windows 10 has several limitations, like
>>> capping out at 3.2GB of RAM and less stringent security measures") and
>>> the functionality of Cygwin-32 significantly downplayed on Cygwin's own
>>> Home page, that really does leave Cygwin-64 on W10-64 on 64-bit hardware
>>> as the sole recommended platform. Yes?

Cygwin64 is the recommended release, there are no recommended platforms,
although there are minimum requirements for the code to run, and to build the
code: if you can run it under ReactOS on an old Pentium, good on you! ;^>

>> No, I run Cygwin64 on Win 7. There is an outstanding W7 update, it appeared
>> a few weeks ago, but I'm not taking it.
> The question is nuanced around "what is the recommended platform". Now as
> individuals we can recommend anything we want if it works for us.. but we
> also aren't expecting to answer all of Fergus's questions when he tries to
> get Cygwin working on his system. I think in the end, for the project, the
> recommendation would be whatever Corinna recommends as she is the primary
> author of the code these days and the one who would be fixing problems
> found.

That has been determined in the past by the need in a new Wdindows release,
version, or edition, to use a new API, that may not be avoided or skipped for
the oldest versions in a backward-compatible way, as happened when support for
new versions had to be added, so XP support had to be dropped.