Cygwin/X: KDE Desktop

briand@pounceofcats.com briand@pounceofcats.com
Thu May 14 01:08:05 GMT 2020

On Wed, 13 May 2020 19:22:25 +0200
Maarten Hoes via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> > Now that you mentioned that, I seem to be having similar behavior as you:
> > Xfce start every time I try it. But now that I tried it some more, LXDE is
> > not consistent for me either. Sometimes I get a black screen, sometimes a
> > black screen and the right-click-on-background-menu, and sometimes a normal
> > working LXDE environment. The first time I try to start LXDE after a reboot
> > of my PC seems to work always, and after that I get mostly the black screen
> > without pop-up menu. The only thing I seem to be able to reproduce reliably
> > with LXDE is the first try after reboot.

I missed the start of this thread.

the menu entries that you can find under the windows start menu work every once in a while, but the majority of the time they do like you say:

1 nothing
2 runs, but black screen
3 runs, and window manager comes up (very seldom)

interestingly , running "startx" in mintty is 100% working.

I am using the xfce desktop, and this all started on the last cygwin upgrade i did (which also broke graphics characters in terminals , although i'm sure the two are not related).

hangs in cygwin are quite common in my experience, i know that a lot of the time it is due to stupid network drives in the PATH variable causing problems.  I have very carefully set-up my bashrc file to remove all the corporate network drives from the path.  that helped a lot.