Update request for rdiff-backup

Wed May 6 13:22:48 GMT 2020

On 2020-05-05 23:23, Cygwin wrote:
>> The ssh, rsync, and most Unix remote access utilities use [[user@]host:]path;
>> and rsync daemon processes and rdiff-backup use [[user]@host::]path specs or
>> URIs; see:
>>
>>     http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup.1.html
>>
>>     https://rdiff-backup.net/docs/examples.html

> Thanks for the suggestion Brian.
>
> I would prefer to use[[user]@host::]path , but based on my reading of the man
> page and examples, it requires rdiff-backup to be available on the remote server
> which unfortunately is not the case in my situation.

It is impossible to use any rsync, rdiff, or rdiff-backup commands against a
remote server without the corresponding daemon running on that server, as the
commands omit sending as many data blocks as possible by sending block
signatures instead, then on signature mismatch sending the data black and
storing it in the new file copy, an incremental diff, and/or a date-time stamped
backup.

> I don't see anything in the rdiff-backup man page or examples indicating you can
> use URIs.  Can you be more specific about where it shows that?

I would expect it to support specs in the form of rsync URIs, not general URI
schemes as supported by curl or duplicity e.g.

rsync(1):
"	Access via rsync daemon:
         Pull: rsync [OPTION...] [USER@]HOST::SRC... [DEST]
               rsync [OPTION...] rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SRC... [DEST]
         Push: rsync [OPTION...] SRC... [USER@]HOST::DEST
               rsync [OPTION...] SRC... rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/DEST

       Usages with just one SRC arg and no DEST arg will list the source files
instead of copying."

similar to ssh(1):
	"or a URI of the form ssh://[user@]hostname[:port]"

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]