R does not handle package non-ASCII DESCRIPTION files properly

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:25:59 GMT 2020

Am 05.05.2020 um 16:55 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2020-05-05 02:47, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

>>> Noted. I will look on both the two issues but it could take a bit.
>>> I never looked at the build process of R packages in such details
>
>> kind of "while you're at it": I've noticed one additional problem with non-ASCII
>> characters. This may or may not be related to the problem reported above.
>> Several packages throw an error during installation, in my case questionr,
>> readr, pls, and vegan. The output of the latter is shown here:
>>
>> installing to /usr/lib/R/site-library/00LOCK-vegan/00new/vegan/libs
>> ** R
>> ** data
>> ** inst
>> ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
>> ** help
>> *** installing help indices
>> Error in Rd_info(db[[i]]) :
>>    missing/empty \title field in
>> '/tmp/RtmprL23H1/R.INSTALLffe51949f2e2/vegan/man/sipoo.Rd'
>> Rd files must have a non-empty \title.
>> See chapter 'Writing R documentation' in manual 'Writing R Extensions'.
>> * removing ‘/usr/lib/R/site-library/vegan’
>>
>> The file in question (man/sipoo.Rd) starts like this:
>>
>> \encoding{UTF-8}
>> \name{sipoo}
>> \alias{sipoo}
>> \alias{sipoo.map}
>> \docType{data}
>> \title{ Birds in the Archipelago of Sipoo (Sibbo and Borgå)}
>>
>> Please note that the encoding is set to UTF-8 explicitely. Nonetheless, the a
>> with overring in "Borgå" seems to mess up the title, which makes R think the
>> \title field is missing. Changing the å to a circumvents this problem. I've also
>> noticed that non-ASCII characters outside the title field do not hurt at all.
>
> Add "Encoding: UTF-8" to the package DESCRIPTION file and remove from .Rd files,
> as documented near the bottom of the section:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#The-DESCRIPTION-file
>
> referenced by:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18080303/rd-files-with-different-encoding

the original issue was in a package that was following the rule, so
there is something at fault in the Cygwin R package reading UTF-8 files.

May be is the same root cause that is causing a single
fault in reading/writing during build test.

I am looking on the 4.0.0 before releasing but I am not a R user
so it takes time.

Regards
Marco