Sv: Sv: Sv: Sv: Named pipes and multiple writers

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Mar 29 02:19:09 GMT 2020

On 3/28/2020 11:43 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

>>> Your test program fails for me on Linux too.  Here's the output from one
>> run:
>>
>> You're right. That was extremely careless of me to not test this in Linux
>> first :-)
>
> No problem.
>
>> I can assure that we have a use case that works on Linux but not in Cygwin,
>> but it seems like I failed to narrow it down in the wrong way
>>
>> I'll try to rearrange my code (that works in Linux) to mimic our application
>> but in a simple way (I'll be back)
>
> OK, I'll be waiting for you.  BTW, if it's not too hard to write your test case
> in plain C, or at least less modern C++, that would simplify things for me.  For
> example, your pipe.cpp failed to compile on one Linux machine I wanted to test
> it on, presumably because that machine had an older C++ compiler.

Never mind.  I was able to reproduce the problem and find the cause.  What
happens is that when the first subprocess exits, fhandler_fifo::close resets
read_ready.  That causes the second and subsequent subprocesses to think that
there's no reader open, so their attempts to open a writer with O_NONBLOCK fail
with ENXIO.

I should be able to fix this tomorrow.

Ken