Emacs gud not working on new installation

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:59:00 GMT 2020

On 3/4/2020 9:44 AM, William M. (Mike) Miller wrote:
> I installed Cygwin on a new computer last weekend. On my previous computer,
> I used gud with gdb in emacs (M-x gdb) for debugging. However, on the new
> computer it is not working. I suspect that gdb is producing output that is
> not formatted correctly for gud to parse.
>
> When I start gud in emacs on the new computer, I get the usual 6-pane
> configuration, and gdb puts out its usual configuration and start-up
> information. When I type the "run" command, however, the program being
> debugged starts and runs, the command pane correctly displays the usual
> "Starting program" messaged, but the "[New thread...", etc. messages and
> any further gdb output (breakpoint messages, output of "info", etc.) do
> not. The program input/output pane updates, but none of the others do. I
> can type commands that are correctly passed through to gdb, but no gdb
> output ever appears in the command pane.
>
> I also tried just the plain "M-x gud-gdb" interface, and that may give a
> hint as to what is going on. I did get the gdb output, but with only
> newlines, no carriage returns, in the command pane. That is, each
> successive line of output from gdb began one character to the right of the
> last character of the previous line instead of beginning in column 0, as it
> did on the old computer.
>
> Any suggestions for how to diagnose or fix the problem would be most
> appreciated.

I don't know whether this is an emacs problem or a Cygwin problem.  Here
are two things you can try:

1. Roll back the cygwin package to 3.0.7 to see if that fixes the
problem.  If so, the problem is likely related to the pty changes in
cygwin-3.1.x.

2. Try updating emacs to the test release for the upcoming emacs-27,
which I will be uploading shortly.

Ken