cat /proc/partitions shows only devices, not partitions

Tue Mar 3 18:17:00 GMT 2020

On Mar  3 16:32, Hashim Aziz wrote:
> Yes, this was what I expected you meant by elevated shell. I tried that earlier and got no luck (though I tried the link to the Cygwin terminal in my start menu
> not a desktop shortcut), and I just tried again after attempting several permissions fixes but still no luck.
>
> The permissions fixed I tried were:
>
> - Right-clicking and deselecting Read-Only on the cygwin64 folder
> - Resetting permissions with the CMD command: icacls c:\cygwin64 /reset /t /l /c
> - Taking control of the Cygwin folder with the following command (itself run from an elevated window):
> [...]

When I was talking about permissions, I was talking about permissions on
the native Windows devices, not any permissions on Cygwin files.

The strace output shows that you don't have permissions to call
DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_DISK_GET_PARTITION_INFO) or
DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_DISK_GET_PARTITION_INFO_EX) on the devices
representing the partitions in the native NT device namespace, i.e.,
\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0, etc.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen