Files and folders created with invalid ACL

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Mon Jun 22 18:08:54 GMT 2020

* Andrey Repin (Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:20:35 +0300)

> Greetings, Thorsten Kampe!
>
> > I'm experiencing the issue described here[1]: files and folders
> > created with Cygwin utilities like touch and mkdir have an
> > incorrect ACL ("The access control list (ACL) structure is
> > invalid (os error 1336)").
>
> > icacls test.txt /verify
> > test.txt: Ace entries not in canonical order.
>
> This is normal. All conformant drivers MUST be able to correctly process such
> ACL's. "Non-canonical" does not mean "invalid".

`lsd` reports an error ("os error 1336"). But that might simply
be a result of the "non canonical order".

> > Interestingly the issue does not occur with files created in
> > the user's Cygwin home directory but - for instance - in the
> > Documents folder of the user's Windows profile.
>
> > This is a fresh Cygwin installation on a test system. Has
> > anyone found a solution?
>
> > [1] http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Issues-with-ACL-settings-after-updating-to-the-latest-cygwin-dll-td124123.html
>
> Needs more specifics.
> How did you set your fstab, particularly cygdrive prefix? Any extra mounts?
> How did you modify nsswitch?

As I wrote, it's a "fresh Cygwin installation on a test
system" that means the phenomennon is observable directly after
the installation.

I did some testing: files created in the user's home directory
(/home/Administrator), the home directory (/home) and other sub
directories don't show the issue.

If I create a file or directory directly under / or anywhere
else on the drive, the issue occurs.

If that would be the case on my main workstation, I would be
fine with that. Unfortunately on my main workstation the issue
occurs everywhere.

Thorsten